Years of being in the spotlight has certainly curbed this Southern Belle’s hearty eating habits. I grew to understand that looking & feeling good is not about depriving myself from all the foods I enjoy, but rather allowing myself to make what I call “realistic health adjustments” to support & offset the way I want to live & feel. Here are my top 6 adjustments that work for me!
- Portion control: “I eat what I want, but I cut my meals in half or 1/3 so that I can enjoy them 2 or 3 times in one day. Eating 4-5 smaller meals a day keeps my metabolism and energy high.”
- Water! “I don’t get a gallon in every day, but I do drink as much water as I can to support digestion & waste management. I call it waist management!”
- Limit processed sugar intake! “I don’t drink sodas often, I prefer natural fruits or cold-pressed juices for my sugar intake, but if and when I do crave an ice cold fizzy drink, I buy the tiniest soda cans or opt for naturally-flavored sparkling water! Also, I allow myself one ice cream treat per week, usually on Sunday! And now, there are so many tasty lactose-free and vegan options that make that extra scoop guilt-free!
- Get active! “Being active doesn’t always mean vigorous training or lifting weights, sometimes it’s as simple as taking a long walk or jog in nature with different gradients of incline to make sure I am getting my heart rate up and muscles engaged.”
- Snack! “Snacking isn’t bad. Snacking in between meals supports higher (faster) metabolism. Also, it doesn’t have to taste terrible, but I do it in moderation & go for healthier options.”
- Drink your vegetables! “Did you know that MORE protein is actually found in leafy greens than in meats? Still, I’m not a salad lover, so I drink my vegetables in cold-pressed green juices. They make me feel more comfortable about getting what I need. And there are some really tasty ones!”